Homestay is a great option for your first month. Your new home away from home will provide a valuable cultural exchange with your local host family. A warm welcome to the UK!
What is Homestay Accommodation?
A homestay involves an international student living with a family in their home. Generally stays will last a month but younger students may prefer to stay longer. Homestay is a great way to learn about life in the UK.
Homestay Accommodation generally includes:
- Pickup from the airport
- A furnished room in your host family’s home
- All utilities including internet
- Welcome and orientation
- Support from your homestay agent
- A cultural exchange with your host family
Positives of Homestay Accommodation:
- Convenience! Everything is setup for you to move in
- A safe and welcoming environment – great if you think you may get homesick
- Improve your English skills with your host family
- Meet a family and learn about the local culture
- Can be cheaper than other managed accommodation options
- May be located a while from your institution – make sure you check public transport options
- The house rules may feel restrictive if you are wanting more independence
- Isolation from other students
Depending on the homestay option, the cost will vary. You can expect to pay between $200 and $300 a week, including meals and utilities.
Useful points for finding the right accommodation for you:
Facilities and house rules vary with homestays so make sure you read all the details. Check out all the FAQs on the options that you are researching.
- Does Airport pickup cost extra?
- Does the homestay agent supply support in case of issues?
- What are the agents cost for placement?
- Will you be comfortable living in someone else’s home?
- What are the house rules – visitors, curfews etc?
- Locality – is it an area that you wish to live?